How to install with no operating system

I ordered a Dell laptop from eBay that was delivered today. The listing said that Linux was already installed but it was not :frowning: I don’t know where to start.

Hey @Z177345!

Firstly, that is false advertising and I would consider trying to return it for a refund.

If you don’t want to deal with that, or can’t wait, here is @Pirate_Fletcher’s post on where to start: here.

2 Likes

When you power the machine us, does it come on? Does install anything? What did the specs say on the ordering information? Would it be possible to copy and paste that information here?

Yes, I get a “no bootable devices found, F1, F2, F5” upon power up. It is a Dell Latitude 7490 14" HD Core i5-7300U 2.6Ghz 8GB Ram 256GB SSD. It’s not a high end version but I thought it would be sufficient for me to learn Linux on. I’m bummed it wasn’t already installed. I have experience with Windows and Mac but I’ve never done anything as far as an OS install.

I ended up taking it to a local repair shop and had them install Pop… I also got a USB with Mint. Time to play!

3 Likes