How to boot from USB

I have managed to put an image of Ubuntu on a usb stick using Etcher, as I want to try it (not install it yet) on my Lenovo Think Pad T540p (Windows 10). I have tried Esc, F12 and F10 (with and without the function key) trying to stop it from automatically booting Windows, but no such luck. I have tried to figure out how to unable secure boot. it suggested pressing F1 on start up to get into BIOs, etc. but that didn’t work either. Can anybody tell me, what I might be missing?

1 Like

Hi @Tinsche!

If you haven’t tried any of the other “F” keys, you probably should. The “Delete” key is also used sometimes.

Another tactic is to press and hold the BIOS key (whatever that might be) immediately after powering it on.

2 Likes

Could be F1 or the Enter key on that model:
" Note: For some models, instead of pressing F1 , continuously press Enter during powering on until a Startup Interrupt Menu displays. The screenshot is for reference. The actual menu will be different."

2 Likes

I had that problem and finally looked up specs on the computer to find what the correct key was to press. My BIOS instructions on-screen said “press any key”, but when I looked it up online, the correct key was F8. It could be any number of different keys, so I suggest looking up your Think Pad online to learn what the correct one is.

1 Like

Kind of reminds me a recent experience with a Mac. It said “Press Change Password when you finish typing” - only it never worked!

Thank guys for all your suggestions. I am little bit short of time at the moment, but will carry on trying with all your tricks. I had already looked online what the right buttons for my model should be, but that didn’t work. One last possibly silly question, do I continuously press the suggested button, or repeatedly?

I’d suggest tapping it repeatedly, as if you hold it down too early on, there’s the chance that the keystroke won’t register. :slight_smile:
And you’re most welcome!

A long time ago I downloaded a program called Oracle VM Virtual Box. It allows you to set up a sandbox of any program you want to run without actually installing on your hard drive. It has been a long time ago since I’ve used the program. I actually got the suggestion and instructions from Microsoft’s web page suggesting how to convert to Linux. The site is www.vitualbox.org

1 Like

If you haven’t solved this yet. Lenovo support says to press and hold power for several seconds(approx 7) to completely power down system. Insert bootable USB dev turn on power and repeatedly tap f12 key.

Obviously if secure boot is enabled you may need to enter the bios and disable it.

1 Like