How do I install a printer on elementary OS?

Good evening everyone,

Thanks in advance to those helping this along.

We are pretty new to the Linux game, but excited to dip our toes in the deep end with you all. I’ve installed elementary OS on a Lenova and we’re enjoying it so far. Our biggest trouble to this point is that we aren’t able to print.

We’ve installed the printer, but our printer is old - the latest drivers on the Canon website, which are no longer available, are from 2011. (Insert your “old printer” jokes here.) My wife installed the printer, but because our printer isn’t listed, she just picked a random driver from the list. When we try to print something, the computer tells us that it is printing, then that the printing is complete, but the printer never moves. I’m not sure what she did, but obviously it isn’t working.

I’ve tried to Google instructions I can find immediately ask me to give root access in order to install “cups” and I’m not sure that’s the right way to go. I don’t know if “cups” has been installed, or even if it’s necessary.

Could someone help me figure out how to install the Canon Pixma MX880 series on elementary OS? I’d be incredibly grateful.

Thank you for your help.

Jim et al.

which elementary desktop you are using?

You might find what you are looking for here: