How can one learn enough (and what to learn) to earn a living with Linux

ב"ה

Ok, let’s try this again…

I’m new to linux – trying to learn it so I can use it somehow to make a living (either by getting a job or start to load linux into computers for people and then tutor/teach them what to do.

So, towards that end, I’m trying to find out what I should learn (right now I’m working on Inkscape and GIMP – my main “gig” is graphic design but I also am a tutor – mostly math – and a writer/proofreader/editor) so – if you can advise me about this (and how to find those things to learn) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Hello @compugraphd and welcome to the forums!

It all depends on your end goal. If you want to do graphics, then everything will depend on the final result you provide, regardless of the tools you use.

If you wish to dive deeper into Linux, then learning to be a systems administrator (i.e. building and handling servers) or programming (such as Python, which is an easy field to get started), there is an extremely high demand for these professions in the IT field.

On the simpler side, you can find old laptops, purchase them at a bargain price, refurbish them and install Linux. Then, you can see those refurbished systems for a good profit margin. First, check the market to see where the prices range and then have a look at the laptops where the easy-going distributions work best (like the Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.).

You can find a series of laptops where Ubuntu (for example) works great on, which will also be the case for most Linux distributions. There is a good list in the link below:

1 Like

ב"ה

Thanks – sounds like a good place to start.
I’ve tried learning Python but I get stalled very early on (it’s been 30 or so years since I had a job as a programmer – in Cobol and PLI – I did some Apple Basic in computer art classes in college) – I’d love to learn more but I’m working by myself and I learn way better working with another human being. I got a “learn python in 100 days” class from Udemy (on the “cheap”) but I only got up to day 9 or so and I’m stuck with no one to ask questions to (as in why am I stuck? Why isn’t the code working? What is the solution?) – so I’m at an impasse (add to that how complicated my life has gotten in the past 5 or so months)… While I’d love to learn more Python (enough to get a job with) It’ll take time and I need a solution now (or 5 months ago, lol)

On the linux computer I have the linux we (that is my friend (who is working with me and encouraging me) and I) put in Mint. It’s a small computer (small in size and specs) so it’s difficult to work with (it’s so small that there’s only one USB and I had to get an attachment that looks like an octopus to connect my mouse and my external HD which travels from computer to computer to work with my graphic images and othe things – I try to sell products from print-on-demand sites) – right now, the only mouse I could find that would work on this computer is tiny.

Anyway, any advice I can get will help to aim me in the right direction. Thanks.

ב"ה

More questions. I’m trying to ascertain the best route to go to see what I can do to learn enough to get a job or some freelance/contractor type work. And, I’m wondering if there are any Python aficionados in this group. I’m stalled on day 9 of a 100 day boot camp course from Udemy (that I bought months ago and am still stalled on).

This may be a weird question (having been out of the programming/coding world for 30+ years I don’t “rightly” know) but does anyone still use pseudocode and if so, how could I make use of it to write sort of an outline of a coding assignment to help me get on the right track (apparently my syntax s**ks big time and I can’t seem to find a site, as I did when I was teaching myself HTML where the syntax is there easy to find and all that) — I thought pseudocode might help.

ב"ה

I’m wondering if there are any Python aficionados in this group. I’m stalled on day 9 of a 100 day boot camp course from Udemy (that I bought months ago and am still stalled on).

This may be a weird question (having been out of the programming/coding world for 30+ years I don’t “rightly” know) but does anyone still use pseudocode and if so, how could I make use of it to write sort of an outline of a coding assignment to help me get on the right track (apparently my syntax s**ks big time and I can’t seem to find a site, as I did when I was teaching myself HTML where the syntax is there easy to find and all that) — I thought pseudocode might help.

Hey @compugraphd!
The group has a couple of Python groups going, step-by-step, with great support. However, I am not part of it, so if you wish to check if they are taking new members, please contact Shane Cooper on Telegram or email him at shane@jeff.pro to check it out.