Help! Can not see my NAS Drive on Zorin 16 Pro

Anyone know why I cannot connect to my WDMyCloudMirror NAS Drive?

I could originally in live USB mode and after originally installing it. but now after adding some programs, I am unable to access it?
I did find out that it is not only on that laptop, I have another Linux desktop and I also can not see the Drive from there.

The only major thing that has changed since the original install has been we changed from 400 Mb cable internet to 1GB fiber so it is a different gateway router.

I am able to see it on all other Windows computers and our iPhones, just not on the Linux devices.

It comes up with a message that says:
“Error resolving “WDMyCloudMirror.local”. Name or service not known

Any help would be appreciated!

Hello @Gr8_4w4k3n1n9!
Are you able to see websites normally via your Linux device? If yes, then perhaps there was a change in IP assigned to the name resolution of your NAS. There is a different way to resolve it.

First, try to connect to it via an IP address:

In the box, type in:

smb://X.X.X.X

Where X.X.X.X is your NAS IP address.
Are you able to see it?

If you are, then we can set up an Internet Connection Filesystem protocol (via LAN) to connect to it and automatically mount the NAS to your Linux system.

I was able to get to mine without any issues

In files manager I typed the IP address in, and everything popped up.
I am not certain about the photo loading? Hopefully I have done this correct.

To answer your first question; Yes I am able to see websites normally. The only issue was I could not connect to my NAS drive even though it was showing up on my network.

Using the smb:// format I was able to see and connect to my NAS.

What is the next step in setting up Internet Connection Filesystem Protocol (via LAN) that you were talking about?

Thank you for your help and all you do for our community Vasileios!

Jeff

1 Like

Hey, Jeff!

First, you’ll need to create a folder as the mount point. Let’s say that you want to mount folder. As an example, let’s create a folder named NAS under the /mnt directory. Open up a terminal (naturally) and execute:

sudo mkdir /mnt/NAS
sudo chown your_username /mnt/NAS

Replace your_username with your actual username. This will give you the ability to write in what you mount.

First, let’s make sure you have the necessary filesystem installed:

sudo apt install cifs-utils

Then, execute:

mount -t cifs -o username=YOURUSERNAME,password=YOURPASSWORD //server_ip_address/folder_to_mount  /mnt/NAS/

Replace YOURUSERNAME and YOURPASSWORD with the credentials you use for your NAS. Same for the server_ip_address and folder_to_mount. If you want to mount the entire NAS, just use //server_ip_address/ without a folder. Don’t forget the /mnt/NAS part.

Once you do that, your NAS will automatically mount on the designated location. Then you can navigate via your file manager (from Computer or Other locations > Filesystem), enter the mnt folder and drag and drop the NAS folder to your left bar to create a bookmark.

However, this will revert the moment you reboot. So, we’ll need to add a line in the file that mounts all filesystems at boot.

First, create a credentials file.

sudo nano /etc/smb-credentials

In the new file, type:

username=your_username
password=your_password
domain=domain_or_workgroup

Replace the values as appropriately.

Now, to create the permanent on-boot mount.

Execute:

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

Just being cautious here!

Then, type in:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

Go to the end of the file and type in:

//server_ip_address/folder_name  /mnt/NAS    cifs   credentials=/etc/smb-credentials,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755   0       0

The same goes here for the server_ip_address, folder_name. Replace them with the actual values. :slight_smile:

Press CTRL+O, then Enter to save. Then CTRL+X to exit.

Next time you reboot, your NAS will be auto-mounted at the /mnt/NAS.

Remember, if you do any reset and your NAS’ IP changes, you will have to update the /etc/fstab file with the new IP address.

mount -t cifs -o username=YOURUSERNAME,password=YOURPASSWORD //server_ip_address/folder_to_mount /mnt/NAS/

Vasileious,
I have not been able to establish my NAS connection yet.
When I put in the command above I get a message in the terminal that says mount: only root can use “—options” option

Also when I’m putting my password to my NAS in the command I get another message that bash: !z event not found because part of my password I “@!z”

Yup, that’s because all mount commands need to have the sudo before them. :wink:
And in case you have issues with the password, use quotation marks.

After my re install, I can no longer mount my WDMyCloudMirror. I am not certain why. I have followed all the above instructions above,
(mount -t cifs -o username=YOURUSERNAME,password=YOURPASSWORD //server_ip_address/folder_to_mount /mnt/NAS/)

and I receive the following error

permission denied: no match for /mnt/NAS found in /etc/fstab

When I run arp -a I receive the following for the NAS device.
? (192.168.10.88) at on wlp2s0
The word incomplete is between at and on with <> on the ends and does not show on this page

Permission denied means you’ll need to add sudo before it. This would make the command appear as:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=YOURUSERNAME,password=YOURPASSWORD //server_ip_address/folder_to_mount /mnt/NAS/

:slight_smile:

Turns out that I had a faulty cable. Imagine that. Put a different one on and all my problems are gone. It’s frustrating when you think it is a software (command) problem and it turns out to be a cable…

1 Like

No worries @scubarth!
This has happened quite a few times in the past couple of months. I’m glad you spotted it. Great work!