Fresh install of Linux over my current Linux install

I had a few bugs from when I first learned how to install linux on my pc nearly 2 years ago. The bugs were minor, but now I want to do a fresh install. I can’t upgrade to mint 21. So instead I was going to just install it fresh.

The original install was on my 500gb drive.
At one point I needed more space so I added a 1tb and a 2tb drive I had laying around.

The 1tb drive is for backups only, this is where I backed up the following:
I backed up my /etc, /opt, /usr, /var, and /home folders

The 2tb drive I mounted as my /home folder, so /home is located on that drive.

I had crashed my linux machine due to lack of HD space. Adding the drives and moving the /home folder and my backups to the new drives solved that problem.

Since I am now intending to do a fresh install and upgrade to mint 21 it seems having the /home folder on another drive is actually a very good thing (I hope).
I plan to reinstall all the apps I currently have installed. If I have to reconfigure things that is not a problem. But if I can save some steps that would be great.
Also, I think I’ll need to copy over my old fstab. I can’t remember if I did anything in the past, but recently I did put some entries in there to mount the new drives.

Is there anything I need to be aware of? I’ve never wiped and reinstalled linux back onto the same system before. Are there any good guides? I searched, but I didn’t find anything that applied directly to my situation (or I didn’t know how to search for it effectively).

ok…a fresh install of Linux and upgrade to Mint 21. cool. Based on your description, it seems like you have a good understanding of your system’s configuration and have taken precautions by backing up important folders and separating your /home directory onto a different drive. Here are a few things to consider and some guidance for your reinstall:

1. Backup: Double-check that you have a backup of all your important data, including personal files, documents, and any additional configurations or settings that you might need after the fresh install. It’s always better to be safe than sorry – be sure you have backups!

2. Reinstalling apps: As you mentioned, you’ll need to reinstall the applications you currently have installed. Make a list of the applications you use regularly, so you can easily install them again after the fresh installation. You might also want to note down any custom configurations or settings you had for those applications.

3. Configuration files: Since you have backed up your /etc, /opt, /usr, and /var folders, you can refer to those backups to restore any necessary configuration files or settings. However, be cautious when restoring configuration files, as some might conflict with the new installation. It’s generally recommended to manually configure applications after a fresh install to ensure compatibility and stability.

4. fstab entries: If you made changes to your fstab file to mount the new drives, you should keep a copy of the modified fstab so that you can easily replicate those entries after the fresh install. Make sure to review and update the entries if necessary to match your new system configuration.

5. Guides: While there might not be a specific guide tailored to your exact situation, you can follow general guides for reinstalling Linux. Look for tutorials on performing a fresh installation of your chosen distribution, such as Mint 21. These guides will cover the basic steps and considerations for a successful installation.

Remember to consult the official documentation for Mint 21 and the specific software you’ll be using for any additional instructions or recommendations. If you encounter any issues during the installation process, feel free to reach out to this forum or the Linux Mint community for assistance.

Best of luck with your fresh Linux installation and upgrade!