External Hard Drive Access

I amusing Zorin in Virtual box on a windows 10 machine (1 year old).

1. Even though I have checked bidirectional in the settings of VB when setting up the Zorin OS, copy and paste or drag and drop between Windows and Zorin does not work. Anything that I should check?
  2. When working on Zorinm is there any way to access the data and files that were saved under Windows?
  3. If I have an external HD that has data and files saved under Windows, how do I access this from Zorin (Virtual Box)?
    Thanks

Hello @AT100 and welcome to the forums!

In order to use cross-platform functions between host and guest, you’ll need to install the “Virtual Box Guest Additions”. In this scenario, you will need to download the Linux version from the Oracle’s Virtual Box website, per their instructions below (for Windows):
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36500_01/E36502/html/qs-guest-additions.html

Per accessing the host file system, the simple answer is no. Virtual Machines are contained, and therefore can see only what you allow them. If you want to gain access to your Windows folders, you will need to create shares from the VirtualBox application.

For the external drive, you’ll need to go to the menu of VirtualBox, as you’re running your Zorin, and select the USB devices and grant access (connect) your drive through it. Then it will become disconnected for your Windows system and will connect to your Linux one. :slight_smile:

With Zorin open and running, when I go to the devices menu and select the guest additions, I get this error message:
Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine zorin.

Could not mount the media/drive ‘C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso’ (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

I was then able to find the file by going through the Windows file system and was able to install it sing the run command which then opened the dialog boxes shown in the instructions. Unfortunately, I have now lost my mouse. Tried new batteries and tried reconnecting the mouse, but was unsuccessful.

The touchscreen and keyboard both work.

The best way to mount those additions is to go directly into Virtual Box settings and select the ISO file from there:

Per losing the mouse, you might have disconnected it from your host system and connected it only to your guest. There is a key combination that releases your cursor from the guest machine and re-assigns it to the host, though I cannot remember it from the top of my head.

Also, there could be a mouse integration issue as there’s a shortcut for it (you can see them below):

Note: The “Host” key is the right CTRL one.

Unfortunately, I most the mouse in both environments. When I uninstalled the Guest additions, rebooted the computer, and then the mouse function returned.

VB was trying to install Guest Additions from:
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso .
Using file explorer, I located the file in the same spot at:
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

I then installed it using the windows RUN command and that is when the mouse in both environments went away.

So I really do not understand why VB could not install the file. Any way, I am not using Guest Additions, have drag and drop, but the mouse works. Also, not able to access external drives or the data on Windows. Other then that, I really like Zorin!!

Thanks you for your help and rapid responses. Have enjoyed your teaching in the videos

1 Like