Errors when Installing Wordpress using WordOps

Dear Sirs,

I was trying to install wordpress on a VPS using WordOps. WordOps installed successfully.

The next command I used was “sudo wo stack install”

It worked until it got to Downloading NetData and instead of printing [Done], it showed…

root@198-74-55-193:~# sudo wo stack install
WP-CLI is already installed
Start : wo-kernel [OK]
Adding repository for MySQL, please wait…
Adding repository for NGINX, please wait…
Adding repository for PHP, please wait…
Adding repository for Nano, please wait…
Updating apt-cache [OK]
Installing APT packages [OK]
Applying Nginx configuration templates
Testing Nginx configuration [OK]
Restarting Nginx [OK]
Restarting Nginx [OK]
Configuring php7.3-fpm
Restarting php7.3-fpm [OK]
Tuning MySQL configuration [OK]
Restarting mysql [OK]
Restarting fail2ban [OK]
Configuring Fail2Ban
Configuring Sendmail [OK]
Downloading PHPMyAdmin [Done]
Downloading phpRedisAdmin [Done]
Downloading Composer [Done]
Downloading Adminer [Done]
Downloading Adminer theme [Done]
Downloading MySQLTuner [Done]
Downloading Netdata Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py”, line 175, in _new_conn
(self._dns_host, self.port), self.timeout, **extra_kw
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/connection.py”, line 73, in create_connection
for res in socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, socket.SOCK_STREAM):
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/socket.py”, line 748, in getaddrinfo
for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, flags):
socket.gaierror: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 706, in urlopen
chunked=chunked,
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 382, in _make_request
self._validate_conn(conn)
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 1010, in _validate_conn
conn.connect()
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py”, line 358, in connect
conn = self._new_conn()
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py”, line 187, in _new_conn
self, “Failed to establish a new connection: %s” % e
urllib3.exceptions.NewConnectionError: <urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7ff3ce98c320>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution

File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py”, line 449, in send
timeout=timeout
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 756, in urlopen
method, url, error=e, _pool=self, _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2]
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py”, line 574, in increment
raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘my-netdata.io’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /kickstart-static64.sh (Caused by NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7ff3ce98c320>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution’))

File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/wo/core/download.py”, line 26, in download
req = requests.get(url, timeout=(5, 30))
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py”, line 75, in get
return request(‘get’, url, params=params, **kwargs)
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py”, line 61, in request
return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py”, line 542, in request
resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py”, line 655, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
File “/opt/wo/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py”, line 516, in send
raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘my-netdata.io’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /kickstart-static64.sh (Caused by NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7ff3ce98c320>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution’))

File “/usr/local/bin/wo”, line 8, in
sys.exit(main())

It continued with these Traceback notifiactions.

Using Linode on Debian, client is Ubuntu 20.04

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Tony

Hey @TonyH and welcome to the forums!
For WordOps to function properly, you will need to have a domain name assigned to your VPS and the name servers to point to your aspiring WordPress installation IP. That’s what produces the error.

@vasileios I wanted to play with Wordpress / Wordops. Is it a good idea to get a separate server for that? I already have one for my VPN.

Hey @Jenny8675309!
Unless you use compartmentalization software for your server (such as Docker or Kubernetes), then I’d recommend you get a new server indeed so that you don’t encounter issues with your VPN. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your help, @vasileios!

1 Like

My pleasure, as always! :wink:

Thanks for the prompt response. The second command from the workshop worked when I went to my VPS and created tonyXXXXXX.com.

Then I tried the 3rd command, “wo site create tonyXXXXXX.com. --wp -le” and got the following warning and error (in bold below). Is this what you were referring to by instructing me to have the name servers point to the installation IP or is this something else?

root@198-74-55-193:~# wo site create tonyXXXXXX.com --wp --le
Running pre-update checks [OK]
Setting up NGINX configuration [Done]
Setting up webroot [Done]
Downloading WordPress [Done]
Setting up database [Done]
Configuring WordPress [OK]
Installing WordPress [OK]
Installing plugin nginx-helper [OK]
Reloading Nginx [OK]
WordPress admin user : --------
WordPress admin password : --------------------------------------------
Successfully created site http://tonyXXXXXX.com.
Certificate type : domain
(the two lines below were in yellow)
tonyXXXXXX.com point to the IP tonyXXXXXX.com. but your server IP is 198.74.55.193.
Use the flag --force to bypass this check.
(the two lines below were in red)
You have to set the proper DNS record for your domain
Aborting SSL certificate issuance
root@198-74-55-193:~#

Additionally based on Jennifer’s question and response, I should delete WordPress from this server because I have OpenVPN installed here , and start a new second server?

It’s indeed the same issue, @TonyH.
The DNS should point at your VPS before you start the installation, that’s why you’re getting these errors. Normally, your VPS provider has a domain management tab, which gives you instructions where to point the Name Servers. Once that is done, you’ll be good to go.

As for separate servers, yes, I highly recommend it. Your VPN one should always be different than the server you use for your website and/or email. :slight_smile:

Sorry to belabor the issue here, but if you cannot tell I’m a noob.

Am I correct that I need to first purchase my domain (DNS) “tonyhXXXXXX.com” from a registry/registrar (i.e. Go Daddy, NameCheap.com, Domain.com, etc)? Then rename those name servers there (the DNS/registrar) with the ones listed on my VPS (i.e. ns1.linode.com)?

No worries! Yes, you’re pretty much correct. I personally created my own Name Server, but you don’t have to do that. The instructions for Linode domain-pointing you will find here:

I hope this helps! :slight_smile: