Eject vs. Unmount for USB

Hello,
I’m using a USB to transfer files from my old laptop to my Linux laptop. When I finish transferring files to the Linux laptop, I select the USB and click “Eject.” It appears to stop but the USB continues to flash and never stops. I tried clicking “Unmount” and that seemed to be an invalid command. I don’t recall the message I got but that didn’t stop the flashing either. I did a search and found some discussion about “eject” regarding Linux that indicated ejecting a USB wasn’t something Linux did well. Any pointers?
I’ve purchased 2 USBs that don’t have lights. How do I know when it’s okay to remove them?

Thank you.

If you successfully transferred the files, you could always just take out the USB after ejecting it, then plug it back in to see if it lost any data.

I’ve always just pulled it out after ejecting it. Had no problems. The light on the USB could be hitching due to the fact that it probably wasn’t designed with Linux in mind. Nothing to worry about really. It’s probably just the light being fritzy.

1 Like

The thing to keep an eye on with the USB sticks (and drives) is what @SBHX said—the light. The reason is that all USB devices have a cache memory before they actually record data. This is why you see the file manager display high speeds in the beginning. That’s when all files are copied to the cache of the device. Once the data transferred exceeds the cache size, the transfer slows down significantly.

So, once you see that the file copy is complete, but the USB is still active, it transfers the data from its cache to the actual storage. If you unplug it at that point, the power is cut off the cache and is cleared. That’s the only reason that could cause file loss. It’s also why it takes some time for the system to effectively eject the USB after a file copy or move is complete.

1 Like