Dual booting speed bump....Ubuntu with Mint

I installed mint cinnamon 2.0 next to Ubuntu 20.04 to dual boot. after install system will only boot to original Ubuntu… mint is not seen.

Disks showed that the install added the needed partitions… but that was it.

looked thru treads and found “forums.jeff.pro/t/dual-boot-question/1824/8

so I tried this… and failed I tried to edit the “style=hidden” and “timeout=5” and them did the “run grub update”… rebooted … went straight unto Ubuntu… and when I opened the terminal and looked the grub had reverted to where I started…

I thought about reinstalling Mint but I fear messing things up on a larger scale…
So help please…
Thank You in advance…
Iberius

Note: my use of Terminal is nill to none with mostly Copy-Pasta being my main plan of action…
I have had good luck with Mint Cinnamon and had it on this computer from the start. I have installed it on my Wife’s lap top and after Christmas “show and tell”… redid my brother’s windoze8.1 and then Mom’s ditto 10…The reason I put Ubuntu on was to degoog a pixel 4 and my research lead to a site that recommended Ubuntu, so I used this as a reason to replace the 250g SSD to a 1T SSD and upgrade the RAM from 4 to 16Gb and then fresh install to Ubuntu…the set back is all my “Brave links” and backed up software were to be reinstalled to the Mint side…

1 Like

Update… All is good. After I posted I went and spent time with the Misses and “Nuckle-Head”, her cat… got a good nights sleep and didn’t even look at the problem lap top till late today… booted it up and it seemed like it failed to engage…pulled the plug and rebooted doing the f12 finger dance… in boot order selected hard drive / enter and it went into… wait for it… Mint…and I have not a clue why? Spent the next couple hours updating and reinstalling the back up of my files. some of my software (Brave and Gimp of note) I had to reinstall… then to test …powered up and down many times to see if I could repeat and or control the outcome. I believe the solution was setting the boot order to legacy hard drive. I did go back and was able to update the grub file in terminal after reading more “how to” stuff… so now I can boot to both Ubuntu and Mint and control which one I want to open…

So we can mark this one fixed.

I want to take the time to thank Jeff for making this site possible… and to Vasileios and all the other people involved who help. After I get the pixel going…knock on wood… I may be able to get Telegraph… they won’t let me with out a cell phone #… and sign up for the classes…
Iberius

3 Likes