Dual Boot - Two SSds - Two Linux Distros

I currently have the luxury of having a desktop that I can experiment with running live distros. I presently have Zorin 16 Core on one SSD and Win 10 on a second SSD. No issues, Grub menu works flawlessly. I’m looking to install Manjaro KDE over Win 10 to simply play with it.
My question is: Is there anything I need to be concerned with regarding the installation process? Will my Grub menu auto update without having to intervene using the terminal?
I don’t want to lose Zorin or the few files I’ve saved on that HD. Hopefully these aren’t stupid questions, just being overly cautious. I’m still relatively new to Linux and consider myself a Noob.
Thanks

Hey @tln58c!
When adding distro installations, the key is always the boot-loader. You will need to make sure that it is installed on the main boot sector that your Windows & Zorin are installed on, which should be the first SSD. I currently have 2 distros and a dormant Windows 11 on my desktop, but each is installed on a different drive.

Manjaro has the capacity (as any other Linux distro) to be installed alongside the other operating systems. The first thing you should look during the partitioning process, is that the Manjaro installation does not select your Zorin drive.

When you say you wish to install Manjaro over Win10, do you mean completely erase Windows? If yes, then the process will be easier than having to partition that drive.

Note: When you install Manjaro and select the same area where your Zorin boot-loader is, it will overwrite its theme, but it will still allow you to boot into other operating systems.

Thank you! And, yes, I’m planning to delete Windows 10 and replace it with Manjaro. I currently have Win 10 and Zorin on separate SSDs. I just wanted to ensure my bootloader would function as it does presently with the options for either Zorin and Manjaro after install.

1 Like

Then you can select the actual SSD where Windows is installed and select it to use the full drive. However, make sure that the bootloader is installed where your main boot sector is. This way you won’t have to activate the BIOS boot menu every time you wish to switch. :slight_smile:

Vasileios,
Thanks for that last comment. I couldn’t understand why Manjaro wouldn’t load from the boot menu until I moved Manjaro to the top of the boot order. Manjaro has been a bit of a learning curve compared to Zorin. I had issues getting wifi to connect, but through reading other posts I was able to figure it out. Linux has been a journey and I want to thank you and Jeff for guiding us all through it. I recently signed up for the Beginner’s Course. The content and information has been invaluable. Thank you!
Ted

1 Like

You are most welcome, Ted!
Yes, Manjaro has quite a different learning curve than Zorin, but you’ll get there. Aside from pacman commands, which are basically much different than apt, you can still apply the same techniques (at least on terminal) like Zorin, Ubuntu, or even Fedora. So, everything you learn will not go to waste. :slight_smile: