Converting 2007 Mac to Linux

It’s my pleasure, @isheinblat! Always! :slight_smile:

Hi @vasileios If I may bother you again - Now I want to replace my Windows Dell laptop with a Linux distro. From what I’ve read from some posts on this forum it seems that Zorin 16 is the closets replacement for a Windows like feel, is that what you would recommend?

Hey @isheinblat!
Zorin happens to be a very well organized and cared-for system to use as a daily driver. Also, Zorin comes with a one-key environment change, depending on how you want it to look. There are two options for it, the Core - which has the basic apps and system, and the Pro (costs $39, but you can install it on any system), which is fully packed for everything you may need (from audio/video editors, to paint and image processing apps), which are nicely packed together.

As far as I’ve seen, Zorin and Pop OS are the two systems that effectively utilize CPU governors, which means that they deliver great performance at the lowest hardware strain (which means less heat for your laptop). So, yes, I do recommend Zorin. :wink:

Thank you @vasileios I am going to go ahead and replace Windows with Zorin 16 Core. Thanks again and Happy New Year!

1 Like

Hi Vasileios,

I also have a Macbook Pro from 2009/10 and you were helping me find a distro for it through email. You finally recommended Budgie, which has worked better than Zorin so far. The laptop does run slow and choppy if I open a program, though, and turns the cooling fans on high after a short time. Is that because of the age of the machine or is there a way I can configure Budgie to use less resources than it already does? Thanks for your help on all these things.

I have:
MacbookPro 5,3
8GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.8GHz

I’m glad to hear it and please let me know how it goes!
Happy New Year to you too!

Hey @dotedus!
If the fans start off immediately, my very first thought is that your MacBook could use a conductor paste replacement on its CPU. Perhaps a bit of internal cleaning from fuzz and dust.
One other aspect to consider is the following. Does your MacBook have a regular HDD or an SSD? The reason I’m asking is that the HDD develops significant temperature, which adds to the heat of your system. Plus, if it’s choppy, it could be an indicator of bad sectors.

It has an HDD. Can I fix bad sectors or would I just need to replace the HD?

You could, but the downside is that bad-sectors tend to spread and you will need to keep a close eye on it. We had a couple of similar cases with people who experienced exactly the same thing. Eventually, new bad blocks hit the OS files and their systems could no longer boot.

Therefore, I would recommend an SSD, which does not generate heat, is incredibly faster, and consumes much less energy too.

Hey there. I recently listened to a JP audio/video where he is suggesting another software and said he would be suggesting it going forward but I wasn’t able to make note of it at the time. I’ve been searching for the audio/video this morning and have not been able to locate it. Can you tell me the name of this software?
Thanks,
Charmin

Hey @Charminbw02!
When it comes to audio production, there are several packages you can use. The bigger ones - that I am familiar with - are Ardour and Audacity.
When it comes to video on Linux, there are KDEnlive, Flowblade, Openshot (simple), or - if you want to go proprietary, yet still free - a great option is Davinci Resolve. However, the latter has specific hardware demands (when it comes to OpenCL or CUDA) to properly function.