Computer needs Driver Upgrades! Need help

Hi everyone. I have Ubuntu installed on my 7 yr old Dell Inspiron. This computer has about 18 driver upgrades :grimacing:

I downloaded them from Dell into my external hard drive. Win is not on this computer, Linux only. What do I do? Will I be able to install these? What do I do? Oh, and one of the upgrades is BIOS which I have never upgradedā€¦

@rmary if Linux found the drivers in the driver manager, it has been my experience that the installs take care of themselves - some just take a while. my first install took about 2 hrs to deal with all the updates and installs. If you downloaded them from dell, are they linux drivers? let us know more details about the drivers if neither of the scenarios above applies. Cheers!

1 Like

Hey @rmary!
First, Iā€™d recommend you open up a terminal (tap your Windows key, and it will open up the apps and the search bar). Then type in:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

This will update your entire system. However, just the fact that Dell released driver upgrades for Windows does not mean you will need them for Linux (the OS is constantly being updated). You might only need to seek additional drivers if something is either not working or having issues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Iā€™ll do this tomorrow. If Iā€™m tired I can screw up just faster than you could whistle! LOL

I should have checked before installing Ubuntu. Anyway, the reason I went in and looked at driver upgrade for this computer is because few weeks back, it was either during Install of Elementary OS or Manjaro. A window popped up saying my WiFi driver needed updated plus couple others.

18 drivers. What about the BIOS driverā€™s update? I have never updated one! Iā€™m very Leary of messing with BIOS. Will that command update the drivers? I if so how? LOL

If I recall correctly the driver manager takes care of everything including flashing the BIOS.

When I was installing Elementary OS or it was Manjaro, I got ā€œdrivers need updatedā€ popup. I didnā€™t even think it completely installed Iā€™m thinking it was Elementary.
I donā€™t believe anything was installed, just the popup notices. But you were installing a server, right?
Doubt the drivers are Linux. Didnā€™t think it mattered since the Dell isnā€™t linux.

Hi @ vasileios. Ok, I ran the command for upgrade, update. Copy below.

I didnā€™t think the driver updates from Dell were for Win Software but for Dell hardware. Like 3 video drivers, BIOS update, WIFI driver.

Get:1 Index of /ubuntu focal-security InRelease [114 kB]
Hit:2 Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease
Hit:3 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease
Get:4 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates InRelease [114 kB]
Ign:5 Index of /coffee-team/coffee/ubuntu focal InRelease
Get:6 Index of /ubuntu focal-backports InRelease [101 kB]
Err:7 Index of /coffee-team/coffee/ubuntu focal Release
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.85 80]
Get:8 Index of /ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [29.0 kB]
Get:9 Index of /ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 c-n-f Metadata [8,844 B]
Get:10 Index of /ubuntu focal-security/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [63.6 kB]
Get:11 Index of /ubuntu focal-security/universe amd64 c-n-f Metadata [12.7 kB]
Get:12 Index of /ubuntu focal-security/multiverse amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [2,464 B]
Get:13 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main i386 Packages [551 kB]
Get:14 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages [1,298 kB]
Get:15 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main Translation-en [269 kB]
Get:16 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [283 kB]
Get:17 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 c-n-f Metadata [14.4 kB]
Get:18 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/restricted amd64 Packages [523 kB]
Get:19 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/restricted Translation-en [75.0 kB]
Get:20 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 Packages [866 kB]
Get:21 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/universe i386 Packages [642 kB]
Get:22 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [363 kB]
Get:23 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 c-n-f Metadata [19.3 kB]
Get:24 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/multiverse amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [940 B]
Get:25 Index of /ubuntu focal-backports/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [10.4 kB]
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
E: The repository ā€˜Index of /coffee-team/coffee/ubuntu focal Releaseā€™ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository canā€™t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Rosemary

Hey @rmary!
Coffee-team Ubuntu? Now you got me curious! How did that repository came to be? Then I did a search and found it to be a weather app.
However, since it makes your update process get stuck, Iā€™m afraid weā€™ll have to take the repository out - at least temporarily so that you can perform the upgrade.

You can do so by typing:

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:coffee-team/coffee

This will clear out the perpetrator. Then you can type in:

If later you wish to reinstall the weather app (provided youā€™re using it), then you can type in:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:coffee-team/coffee 
sudo apt update
sudo apt install com.github.nick92.coffee

If you encounter the same issue with updates in the future, refer to the first command to disable the coffee repository! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you @vasileios . This is what I have now:

Hit:1 Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /ubuntu focal-security InRelease
Hit:3 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates InRelease
Hit:4 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /ubuntu focal-backports InRelease
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
2 packages can be upgraded. Run ā€˜apt list --upgradableā€™ to see them.
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
Calculating upgradeā€¦ Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
fprintd libfprint-2-2 libpam-fprintd
Use ā€˜sudo apt autoremoveā€™ to remove them.
The following packages will be upgraded:
libnetplan0 netplan.io
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 175 kB of archives.
After this operation, 6,144 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 libnetplan0 amd64 0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2 [52.3 kB]
Get:2 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 netplan.io amd64 0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2 [123 kB]
Fetched 175 kB in 0s (489 kB/s)
(Reading database ā€¦ 271324 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ā€¦/libnetplan0_0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2_amd64.deb ā€¦
Unpacking libnetplan0:amd64 (0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2) over (0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.

1. ā€¦
    Preparing to unpack ā€¦/netplan.io_0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2_amd64.deb ā€¦
    Unpacking netplan.io (0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2) over (0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.1) ā€¦
    Setting up libnetplan0:amd64 (0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2) ā€¦
    Setting up netplan.io (0.103-0ubuntu5~20.04.2) ā€¦
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-0ubuntu9.2) ā€¦
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ā€¦
    Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.16-2ubuntu2.1) ā€¦

Rosemary

1 Like

looking good!! :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

@BigDaveAZ thank you! Iā€™ve put Budgie desktop on to see what it was. Donā€™t know if Iā€™ll keep it. Did you see that Clear Linux from Intel?

@rmary I have not - I will have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up. Cheers!

1 Like

Yup, itā€™s working good now!

1 Like

I just installed davinci resolve on my Linuxmint. But it is asking to review the GPU drivers and GPU configuration under preferences.
Please how do I go about it?

What graphics card/chip does your system have?