Complete novice

Hello everyone, I want to put linux on to my MacBook Pro , is there a step by step dummy guide somewhere that I can follow.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @Boyo

This is an excellent write up by our resident guru

Also a quick search of the forums here is bound to have a MAC related install as many of the channel members have converted their Macs.

2 Likes

Welcome @Boyo!
Excellent advice offered by @MrDeplorableUSA.
If you have an older MBP you will find Linux very compatible. Newer MacBooks however with the T2/M1 chips don’t typically play well with Linux. I’m currently in the middle of setting up a 2011 MacBook Pro with High Sierra and Linux Mint 21. It’s working (and has before) but with a few bugs. Always fixable.
Have fun. Backup vigorously. And don’t be afraid to blow stuff up. It’s more fun for me when I fail and fix. :penguin:

2 Likes

Do you partition the hard rice or a complete install

1 Like

Well said Sir! …reminds me of Seth Keshel’s little tidbit of the start of Cortez’s 1518 Conquest of Mexico …“burn the boats” a little put the past behind you …and look forward to the future …no regrets. I know nothing of MacBooks can you replace the HD? Another option if possible, and an upgrade to SSD with a clean install…this has been getting far less costly @Boyo …Welcome to the party! In the end, the decision is defined by your needs …and there are many Mac-people who will come along to advise …i’ll shut up now … :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No shutting up in here. Lol
Older MacBook laptops have been notoriously easy to replace RAM and hard drives. And you can most definitely install a ssd. All my Macs have ssd except the iMac and only because it’s such a PITA to get to.
I highly recommend iFixit for free guides. I’ve been using them for at least 15 years.

1 Like