Checkbook app

Hi,
I put Linux Mint on an older dell laptop and I’m looking for a checkbook management and balancing spreadsheet. Does anyone know of something that is available?
Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich @rlegarra,

Do you want the spreadsheet in Excel or LibreOffice Calc format?

Regards,
Nelda

Hi nwarrew,
I am using Libre Office on this computer. I am trying to move everything away from big tech but it is a slow process for me I should have spent more time learning this stuff when I was younger. This computer is an older dell and it is working great with Linux Mint. I still have an Imac and macbook pro to convert to Linux then I will be starting on the phones. I guess I got off track, the answer to your question is Libre Office Calc format and I really appreciate any help or direction you can give me.
Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich @rlegarra
Yeah, what a re-education for us all!
I’m working now to modify my Excel spreadsheet to Calc format. I’ll upload a copy for you asap.
Nelda

Ok, @rlegarra, I have converted an Excel workbook to LibreOffice Calc, but I can’t find how to upload files here. Only images.

May I email you a copy of the Calc workbook? If it’s ok, please message me your email address.

Hello @nwarren and @rlegarra!
Glad to see you interacting!

If you have any issues with LibreOffice, there is also the Only Office, which was built for closer compatibility with its M$ counterpart. It’s also free and available in your Software Center. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m using MoneyDance on my Mint system. It works much like Quicken and I’m pleased with it.

1 Like

OnlyOffice is good news, @vasileios. I want to use Linux software, and hadn’t yet moved all of my Excel files over. Your timing is perfect.

You’re right: When I was converting the checkbook workbook for @rlegarra, LibreOffice corrupted the file, then crashed. I’m delighted to not use it!

Rich, I plan to remove LibreOffice from my system and use OnlyOffice. Once it’s all set up, I will convert the checkbook workbook. I’ll also hold onto the LibreOffice Calc file that I created, just in case you prefer to stay with that program.

Let me know which file to send you.

2 Likes

Hi, @PrettyGranny. Thanks for news regarding MoneyDance! I will definitely check it out.

I’m also looking for a Quicken WillMaker replacement. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Hi @vasileios, thanks for the suggestion to use OnlyOffice.
@nwarren I will be installing OnlyOffice on my computer and would appreciate the checkbook workbook file you create. Once I get a better understanding of Linux I will see what I can learn about building working spreadsheets, but that may be a while I am having a difficult time picking up how to use the command line. Again thanks for all your help.
@PrettyGranny thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look at MoneyDance

1 Like

Gratefully, @rlegarra, OnlyOffice doesn’t appear to need any command-line work. It installs from our Software Manager, and looks just like Excel. I’m guessing we can just work spreadsheets as we already have.

1 Like

@rlegarra, please check your email. I just sent you the file.

1 Like

hello, interested in the checkbook spreadsheet you are discussing here, can it be shared on this site or can you possibly e-mail me a copy?

Hello, @Helenska. To the best of my understanding, the forum cannot upload files. But I am happy to email you a copy. Please message me your email address. Best to avoid putting it in the forum thread, proper.

Hi @nwarren , I received the file you sent me I have not had time to start using it yet but I really appreciate you sending it to me a quick look at it looks like it will do what I need.
Thanks again you and everyone else in this group are amazingly helpful to those of us who are somewhat technically challenged.
Rich

1 Like

You’re very welcome, @rlegarra. Let us know how it goes for you.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you vasileios! I found this comment thread just now, and it has helped me too. I have found LibreOffice writer keeps crashing on me. Will try out Only Office now.

1 Like