Budgie on Macbook Air Occasional weird things

I have been using Budgie for a week or two now. I love it. Every once in a while, though, something weird happens like when I open it up it’s lost my last setting or Brave browser is no longer in my dock. Things don’t seem to be 100% stable. Is there a debugger or something I need to do?

1 Like

That is weird. Based on your experience I have an active project to install Budgie on my 2011 MacBook Air - as soon as I get the battery replaced (I have about 10 projects going right now). I experienced this on mint when I changed the desktop view - it lost my “pinned” applications. Was there an update of the Desktop Environment? You are using it with a “Mac-Like” setup right?

It’s going to be hard to get me to try another distro because I love the name “Budgie” so much. I didn’t really do any special setup to the environment. I have gradually added all the apps that I use regularly and I can now use it for everything I do. I put it on an external drive because I still need my Apple system to take tests in a master’s program I’m in right now. So a lot of weird things could get in there somehow between all the different things I have going on in my system. I downloaded Synaptic Package manager but I haven’t used it yet. The weirdness may have begun after I loaded that on. I also did a lot of killing processes in Terminal for a couple of days trying to figure out how to get MSCorefonts off my system. Had no idea that all I had to do was just say no to the agreement and it all went away on its own. Maybe I killed a process I shouldn’t have killed. :upside_down_face: It’s a fun learning process, but I would be lost if I couldn’t get online with questions. Such a newb.

Hello @MStapleton!
What @Caleb_Christian mentioned is true. However, you don’t need to do any changes. The dock you are using is called Plank and I have extensive experience with it, especially since I’ve been testing out distributions for a few years now. In some scenarios, what works is this:

When you open up your new application, grab its icon on the Plank dock and move it to a different location. In that case, Plank will activate the “Keep on Dock” function. However, there may be a few apps that don’t have that functionality - because their execution command is beyond the standard binary path (called $PATH). These instances are usually applications that run as .AppImage.

Also, if you wish to install MS core fonts, yes, you will need to accept their lousy agreement. You can re-initialize the installation by typing:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

If this says they are already installed (but cannot be used), you can type:

sudo apt install --reinstall ttf-mscorefonts-installer

If there are any errors that may incur, you can resolve them all by typing:

sudo dpkg --configure -a 

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like