Best way to move WordPress site away from a hosting company

I currently have a WordPress blog with a hosting company. I have the cheapest plan and got warnings about getting too much traffic. So, I want to host it myself since I’ve learned how to do it from LMS with Mr. V.

I am looking at the UpDraftPlus plugin to move my site.

If anyone has any suggestions the moving process + plugins, I would really appreciate it! :pray:

1 Like

Hey, @Ai!
UpDraft Plus appears to be a really handy tool, indeed.
All you’ll need is to go through the Server course we have up on the LMS to set up your VPS. You can start with the nano-node at $5 per month and you can scale it up if you need. You won’t have to re-configure anything to do it. It’s just one click.

Once you do your installation and assign the domain name, then you can install UpDraft Plus on your new Wordpress site and follow the process in the link below:

In worst case scenario, retain a copy of the plugins list you have, so that you can reinstall them.

1 Like

What is your hosting company? Do you use an FTP client to connect to it?

@Vasileios, thank you for the link and other instructions, forward is the only way from here on out!

@Phobos, they finally let me have the access, now I am clearing my schedule to move everything to my own VPSs. thank you for replying!

1 Like

No problem. Once you understand the raw filling system of the wordpress sub folder system, using ftp makes it a doddle. You sound as though you are on top of it now…Good luck with the rest of your endeavours.

2 Likes

Success! I moved my old WordPress site to my own server! Used All-in-One WP Migration – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org. Super easy!

2 Likes

@vasileios
I am trying to get my websites off of a hosting provider and my own VPS. The VPS is a lot more expensive $30 a month not 30 a year, which I thought was shared in the first class I took to create my on VPS. Bluehost for example is $40 month but a special of 20 if you sign up for 3 years.

Not sure if I missed a step.
I’ve got updraft on my sites and backed up just haven’t figured the next step out to get of the shared hosting servers.

Did I miss a step somewhere?
Where would you suggest an affordable VPS?
Thanks in advance!

My guess is that you selected “Dedicated” vs. “Shared” for your VPS, which is more expensive.
I have been looking at VPS pricing and the “Dedicated” starts around $40/month.

I discovered that Wordpress (I have a Paid hosting plan with WP) is now requiring me to upgrade my Worpress plan to Business in order to install any Plug-ins. It’s $40/month charge, even though it states the plug-ins are free.
does anyone know of a work around so that i can install Updraft-plus or All-In-One WP Migration Plug-in in order to move my WP site over to a VPS self-hosted server?

Do you have FTP access into your sites files?