Best distro for a Lenovo x131e laptop

Small problem here. I am running a Lenovo X131e laptop and I am about to start my 4th reload of Linux Mint after the distro crashed on this laptop. Rather than reload a distro that has not worked in the past what do I need to do to have a successful experience. I doubt seriously that Linux is expected to crash and burn every couple of months. I DO NOT want to return to Windows so need some help.

My needs are pretty basic. On line use with Brave Browser. Office software using LibreOffice. Calendar appointments and journaling through Red Notebook. Eventually, though I haven’t been on Linux long enough to move in this direction, I want to begin doing my photo editing and printing through Linux.

If I am successful doing this on my laptop I intend on moving my desktop system to Linux as well. But… I have not been able to stay up with Linux long enough to make this move and after three attempts I am very leery.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Quite a discerning situation, my Lenovo’s are much older T430U and T460 so I’m unfamiliar with your model. Mine function perfectly on Debian 11 with misc-contrib and non-free firmware. I also used the isenkram package for hardware updates.
My installs are done using Ethernet to ensure connectivity during configuration. What ever is “crashing” the system is what needs to be addressed. Mint is an exceptional distro for newer hardware though not as adapt as Ubuntu.
I only dropped Ubuntu due to their forced snap desktop and snap packages unless you specifically disable it and install actual Debian based packages from their repos.

Check your ram memory. my W520 old crash very little but I upgrade the RAM memory to 16GB.
you don’t have to have so much I need for my work.

I had a similar problem with an older lap and it was the RAM slots that were a little dirty from age. I put some Vaseline on my finger and thumb and wiped it along the connections and put it in again… It has been fine for over a year now… I don’t know if it’s technically the correct thing to do, but it worked…

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try that. I would not expect my needs to be that RAM hungry but there could certainly be a glitch.

It is returning a message that says
[ 0.006513] do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector.

I have no idea what that means.

I think I have another Lenovo lying around so I may fire it up and see what happens.

1 Like

I see that of as well on both my Thinkpads but have encountered no issues due to it.

Haven’t had time yet, attending graduations instead. Tis the season. However I should get a little time to play this weekend so I’ll see what happens with my other laptop.

1 Like

I have Cinnamon Mint running on a 2008 Lenovo Flex 15 since 2021 with only one issue shutting down. Otherwise running great and now with LTS Vera that’s fixed too.
Mint has 3 Desktops with Cinnamon being the most demanding. Have you tired the lighterweight XFCE or MATE versions?

Sorry for the rather lengthy delay on my side. It has not been on purpose.

I ended up swapping in the the hard drive out of another Lenovo laptop and at this point everything on that drive seems to be running Windows just fine.

Unfortunately it is all Windows and I started this entire project in an attempt to free myself from Windows. I want out of Windows but I have a lot of programs on this computer that I need to be able to port over to Linux as time permits.

If possible I would like to be able to swap some of these programs into Linux, or at least run them side by side until I can find suitable replacements. I wish I knew Linux well enough to do this but I suspect it is going to take time for me to learn what I need to learn. Meanwhile I would prefer to lose as little as possible.

For example, I do a lot of photography both digital and analogue. This means learning to use Linux versions of Photoshop and Lightroom as well as setting up my scanner to run in Linux. I know this won’t happen overnight so I need something that will run reliably.

I know this has been a little scattered but any help will be appreciated. I thought I already had things started until the continual hard drive crashes intervened. Hopefully that is in the past because I have another laptop (my wife’s) and a desktop (family) to convert as soon as I am comfortable they will work.

Once this little Lenovo is running I’ll rejoin Jeff’s Learning Linux program. I tried once before but it was a losing battle when the computer I was using was crashing every week or so.

EDIT - I am reviewing the suggestions already made and will start sorting through them as time permits.

EDIT 2 - And thank you for your patience.

Photography and Linux go great together (with some patience while you learn).

• Replace Photoshop with Gimp.
  • Replace Lightroom with DarkTable - (catalog in place to avoid duplication)
  • Consider creating a new safe directory to accumulate test (copy) files to try-out edit and cataloging tools

Avoid Shotwell (it wants to control and copy EVERYTHING to your home Pictures. It could be ok if you need to grab files from a camera/sd-card into your system. Be cautious as it’s default seems to be to catalog and move/copy everything!)

Hopefully your scanner has Linux drivers. Spending time finding solutions is worth it.

Perhaps an external USB drive where you duplicate some typical files and workflow as a safe sandbox while you figure things out, keeping your archive safe until your are ready.

Suggestion:
Give yourself small projects to learn the changes while maintaining your existing workflow.

Back up and repeat!

Gimp has very powerful tools but they are described differently in new menu structures.

Gimp tutorials are abundant - try duplicating a frequent task you do in PS on Gimp until you “Get it”
DarkTable is also very powerful with a bit of a learning ramp.

Good luck!

1 Like