Beginner driver disaster do I need to reformat and start over?

Yes,

I found another usb and got this at boot for the first time.

Do you think this could be our way out of the woods? By the way, thank you for not giving up.

Oh, okay. I was about to go into the Ubuntu installation and extract the modules manually.

If you can, run a new full installation and we’ll take it from there. Don’t worry, we’ll get it done sooner or later. :blush:

I think we can do this! Can you walk me through this to insure I don’t make mistake?

Since you replaced your macOS, it is very straightforward. Install it as you normally would - with your credentials and all. This process shouldn’t produce any trouble.

However, before you continue, I would highly recommend you click on “Try Ubuntu” -
Does your WiFi work when you enter the Live environment?

Not yet. The first time I installed I had to go to update drivers with a Wi-Fi cord. Should I try that?

In that scenario, don’t use the cord. Install it off-line and - once done - boot into it.

Once you load it up normally, then check if WiFi is operational. If it is, don’t connect it just yet.

Please let me know once your installation is complete so that we can dive in.

Roger that. Thank you.

1 Like

Which options do you like?

Full installation and check the “Install third-party software” so that it includes the necessary drivers and modules.

Ok?

Yes. This will work perfectly.

I see the WiFi prompt! Should we go with livepatch?

No. Not yet. You don’t want to set up any automatic updates at the moment. Now you can follow the commands above.

Open up a terminal, maximize it and type:

sudo apt install mlocate
sudo updatedb
locate board.bin

Once done, please take a photo of the output and post it here.

(All the above provided you have your cable - at least - connected. Also ignore the prompt to update.)

Please forgive my delay. You’ll need network for the first command. Please connect the cable to execute it and try again. Then you can disconnect it.

Edit: There is some havoc currently with major Internet shortages and I’m attempting to cover as many fronts as possible. Hence my delay. Again, I apologize.

We have WiFi

Great! Now, please run the previous commands in terminal so that we ensure that you still have WiFi after the update. :slight_smile:

Okay. I admit this is funny!

Try this first:

sudo apt update

This will update the databases and will say that you can upgrade. Don’t upgrade.

Then re-run the commands, starting from the sudo apt install mlocate.

It worked and we are on WiFi! I won’t touch anything till you give me the ok. My puppies need a walk so I’ll be back soon. Thank you again for not giving up.