Asking for a walk-through, help, to set up the Private server

Hello,
Making a ‘Call Out’ for a walk through the VPS, and VPN set up/installation.
I have attempted to follow lesson 017 and the PDF everyday for a week, 10 hours a day.
Had to reinstall my distro over 15 times and reset and reboot my vsp.
Can’t do it on my own. If someone has the time to walk me through the installation that would be deeply appreciated.
Already terminal deleted Firefox and terminal installed Brave among other programs. I can follow clear instructions and am available at anytime that suits you.
Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Hey @George,
You’re in Australia, right? So, time difference should be taken into account when going on a call. I will send you a Private Message for it.

3 Likes

Me too!! Same story!!

1 Like

@elleneia
We will get there, little bit by little bit. I just private messaged you.

Ask for help, because we are meant to be doing this and we do it better together. And you will know it has been done right.

@George and @elleneia,
If you encounter an issue, please let me know. Remember ti make sure that you execute:

apt install sudo

Do this right after you do the update and upgrade. For some reason, some distro images in several VPS providers have issues and missing components.

1 Like

If I understand correctly (thank you for your patience!), I should type:

apt install sudo

immediately AFTER the command:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

and BEFORE:

sudo apt install -y git

(top of “page 3 of 9” of PDF “YOUR OWN VPN SERVER”)

My IONOS VPS says: " Sorry, we are performing maintenance tasks in cloud panel. "

Otherwise I would be tackling this right now at 11:30pm! I will check back and give it a go first thing tomorrow!

1 Like

I’m now able to get to my server… starting thru process again now… 11:33pm 12/14/21

1 Like

Very good, @elleneia!

1 Like

The reason is that when you start the OS, it does not have the databases ready, so you’ll at least need an update to refresh them so that the system at least finds sudo.

1 Like

Still same result… “Connection failed. Activation of network connection failed.”
I did copy my whole terminal session and pasted it into a text document. I can send if that will help! I do not know how to attach here.

1 Like

Sent attachment as email reply.

1 Like

If we do a walk through, could I please join you? I have not been able to set up my vpn or do anything productive with my digital ocean account.

2 Likes

This has been an amazing, enlightening, frustrating, filled-with-anticipation, setting-my-face-like-flint experience! I am more than ever determined to conquer self-hosted vpns and REALLY understand each step. It has made me think with great appreciation of the many Linux pioneers who have wrestled for way longer and still persisted to become the Jeffrey Petersons and Will Welkers and Vasileios Ks of our world today. Its worth the fight! A small “visible” battle in this far greater invisible battle we are in!! For FREEDOM!!

4 Likes

@Suzanne
@elleneia
@vasileios
Yes, I think we should all do a walk through of the Private VPN set up, if we can. Lets keep talking about it and arrange something.

The video doesn’t match up to where to create the ssh key-gen, do it on the white root@, or the green username@username computer name?

We are the first ones through, so there are teething problems. Making it straight forward for others to follow, is a decent action to take, for future Gnu/Linux users.

I’d like to be able to point to this class lesson and say to friends ‘This is how it is done, professionally and securely’.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
@elleneia & @Suzanne, I’ve been in private messages with @George to help him through. Some of the VPS providers seem to have significant differences with Linode, which makes your VPN deployment a pain. Poor guy is still up.

Whoever needs some help and is stuck in a specific spot, please shoot me a message and I’ll guide you through.

2 Likes

@Suzanne to private message, you click the round Icon and window pops up with a blue message tag, when you are in private message a grey envelope indicates its private, sending you a pm, so you can see.
@elleneia
I have been sending screen shots of each step to @vasileios . Working from the beginning. Some core files were missing.

@Suzanne and @elleneia - we just concluded with @George and his VPN is now up and running.
Please message me with any issues you may have with your setup and I’ll guide you through the process. :slight_smile:

1 Like