Alternatives to linode

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good alternative to linode?

Thanks,
Nicky

Depends on your use case. If you’re looking for a more managed solution then try Host Armada or Scala Hosting.

Thanks Midline, I should have provided more details. I’ve been using linode for the past few years - have a server set up for a VPN, Nextcloud and Cyberpanel for my websites etc. But, I feel like the customer service etc. and pricing etc. has gotten worse since they changed to Akamai. So, now looking for something else. I’ve used DigitalOcean in the past, and have recently heard of Vultr as a potential option.

Do you know if there has been a workshop about how to set up your own server, so it bypasses even companies like DigitalOcean or Linode?. I can’t seem to find it anymore in the ‘Linux course’ - but have a vague memory of it being delivered by Jeff and Vasileios back in 2021 or 22’…or did I imagine this…

Sorry, I don’t think I attended that workshop. However, Host Armada has VPS servers available and their support staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. Suggest you try them. They may also help you to transfer your applications and data to their hosting environment. Linode, Digital Ocean and Vultr will not provide you much support.

I am currently using Digital Ocean for my VPS to host websites and RackNerd for my VPN with no complaints. There is a website called lowendtalk.com where providers advertise their services. JP has recommended that site a few times.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Thanks, sounds good. Will take a look now.

I too am disappointed that the nextcloud and server setup tutorials are gone.

Nicole,
There was a class on setting up your own server, but it is no longer in the LMS or I cannot find it. late Feb. or early March of 2022

What do you think the chances are of having those reloaded? Or maybe Jeff will do another session? Or maybe a link to someone’s video that shows how? I really want to learn how to do this!