Accessing APFS drive

I have duel boot my macbook pro mid 2012. when i created a partition for LinixMint it went okay. When I installed LinuxMint it went okay. I can not get my webcam working in LinuxMint and everything I have read is to extract it from my MacOS on my harddrive. when I try to access my MacOS I get an error about it being APFS and can’t be mounted. I also made a backup on a removable drive and I get the same error. If it was only the webcam driver I could live with it but as a Photographer I need to access my images and all of my clients information. I have search the duck and I am not able to find out how to do this. Any help would be great.

1 Like

Hello @thelittlegphoto!
The process on that can be a tad bit tedious, but it’s doable. There is an option to mount your drive, but the files will only be visible via root (or sudo). However, you can copy them to your local Linux drive and change their permissions and ownership for you to process.

The way to make APFS accessible is the following:
https://thinkzinc.com/blog/index.php/2021/01/28/mount-an-apple-apfs-drive-in-ubuntu/

Once you go through and copy the files in a folder - for example, I’ll assume you will create a new folder inside your Pictures directory, named macos_photos.

You can open up a terminal window and type in:

cd ~/Pictures
chown -R your_username macos_photos

Replace your username with your actual username. This will make all photos copied accessible to you normally. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps!

thank you for the quick and informative reply. I will try this and let you know how it goes. again thank you

1 Like

It’s my pleasure! Yes, please let me know how it goes. :slight_smile: