A Safe Browser

I keep having suspicions with the Brave Browser. I installed one called Vivaldi which is VERY fast but wondering if anyone knows more about the security of it. Would love feedback. Thank you.

Vivaldi in most of our opinions is just like using Chrome or Windows.

We generally considered Brave, Chromium(NOT Chrome), ehich are FOSS, safe browsers until we find out otherwise.

Vivaldi is like Chrome and Microsoft(Edge?) browsers deemed security threats(look at the number of security updates they go through) due to being closed source and “forced” on to the unsuspecting user.

4 Likes

Hey @OmaBear55!
What @MrDeplorableUSA said rings true. Brave is a great browser. However, if you do want to have a backup alternative, I recommend Librewolf - which is a secure and private browser that utilizes the open-source code of Firefox (but is not Firefox).

4 Likes

I am not a tech expert by any means, and therefore defer to the previous comments for far greater expertise. That said I stopped using Vivaldi due to concerns mentioned and censorship. Brave is actually faster but also has concerns. Did some test searches recently and results were very very disturbing. Full censorship with Brave likely having to do with the search algorithm.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback

Ok thank you so much. It feels like we are being watched no matter what we use. I will stick with Brave and your suggestion as well. Thank you!

2 Likes

@vasileios and @MrDeplorableUSA do you have a download link for chromium - what I found at Github has not been updated in 6 years - if I am reading it correctly. Sorry if I am missing the obvious. Cheers!!

1 Like

Can you run it on IPadtoo?

What distro are you running?

Idk anything about iPads other then it’s better off to try an sell it an buy something that can be altered.

@MrDeplorableUSA I am running Mint, but I am getting ready to try Zorin, as well.

1 Like

Chromium should be available in the repos for mint

2 Likes

@MrDeplorableUSA Muchas gracias, mi amigo.

1 Like

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
There are two versions of Chromium. The original one and the super-stripped that disallows any form of connection to Google. The latter is called ungoogled-chromium. The normal Chromium can be found in the official repositories, while both of them are available as flatpaks too.

1 Like