32 bit Dell Inspiron 6000

I loaded Ubuntu MATE onto my old 32 bit computer. Stepping thru the process it seems to have loaded. When I do a reset all I see is a black and white screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. What gives?

Hello @agstone and welcome to the forums!
It is possible that it is trying to terminate a service or a session that is taking too long. Does it happen after you select the reboot option?

Hi vasileios,

Thanks for responding. By all appearances Ubuntu is successfully installed. The popup box at the end of the install directs me to restart the computer to run Ubuntu. After I do the restart the screen is black with just a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.

I’m loading from a USB memory stick. I can run Ubuntu from the stick without installing Ubuntu.

You’re welcome, @agstone!

The USB stick is essentially a Live image of the operating system. You can save files via its persistent storage, but you cannot run updates or make any system changes that will last a reboot.

If you have installed it, try turning the power off (even via the power button), then remove the USB and start your computer up again. Does it boot into Ubuntu normally?