Unable to boot from Flash Drive on MacBook Pro (from 2009)

It’s my pleasure! And yes, being cautious is a good thing. Remember, back up all your files!

Yes! Thank you for the reminder. It is on my to do list.

1 Like

Oh darn…I was so hoping it would work for you! :tired_face: Good luck and keep trying

1 Like

It’s not over yet, @Gr82blanda! :wink:

2 Likes

I had composed a rather long message with my questions butI found some videos that I watched on Balena Etcher and Pop_OS so I will give it a try when am all fresh tomorrow.

Just did think of a question though. I did spend some more time looking at Pop_OS since perhaps it might be a good choice to try out. But I did like Ubuntu Budgie better. So my question is, if I use Pop_OS bootable USB as a workaround for the Nvidia drivers, how will I go about trying the Ubuntu Budgie once I get the MacBk Pro to boot from the USB Pop_OS?

Will I have to install the Pop_OS first and then install Ubuntu Budgie over it?

Hi @BittiBrightLight !

If you were to install Budgie after installing Pop_OS, Budgie would erase Pop_OS completely. Including any drivers that you may have installed.

@BittiBrightLight, what is interesting is that your first message was the one to hit my email as a notification!

I would recommend you move forward with Ubuntu Budgie. If you encounter any issue with the Nvidia card, then we’ll deal with it. :wink:

Ah okay! Gotcha on going directly to the Ubuntu Budgie. Thank you.

(It is interesting that my message was the one to hit your notification.) What a bit more tinkering can do! :blush:

1 Like

Dear @vasileios here is an update! I finally decided to try to install Kubuntu on my son’s Mac 09! It has a disk and that made it harder. I got help from a friend who speaks Linux. He found someone who shared online, that for the older Macs, it needs to boot off the disk. It was very late at night, and I was very tired and did not write notes. (Friend is in another city.) I do know we could hear it clicking on the disk first but it finally worked when we had both! The Balena Etcher USB and disk prepared the same. We had to press ctrl O to get it to boot off the disk. (If I recall correctly.)

I had a hiatus with family illness distractions and finally got a chance to get help from my friend last week. I have to now play around and learn some more. I do have another question though…my son said he had to get a third party app to run the fan constantly as it is a very souped up system and it does overheat! Is there something similar with Linux?

Thank you so much for your help too!

Hey @BittiBrightLight!
No worries! We have a life that moves on. :slight_smile:

If your system overheats, it means that it needs a bit of cleaning. I would recommend - if possible for you - to open it up and give it a good de-dusting. It has probably gathered some fur in it too. That’s if you feel comfortable doing it. I would also recommend placing some fresh conductor paste over the CPU (removing its cooler, placing the paste and then re-attaching it). This will solve the heating problem for good. Worst case scenario, if you have a repair shop nearby, they can do it for you. It’s a cheap process.

On the software side, I haven’t used an app that turns the fans into helicopters. Instead, I use a CPU governor to keep the processor at lower frequencies to avoid overheating. Though Linux does tend to fire up the fans up on its own. The one I use is cpupower-gui and is usually found in the repositories.

Oh ok! Where does one get the conductor paste?

LOL, turning the fans into helicopters… Sounds like your plan is better!

Thank you!

1 Like

All computer stores sell it, so it won’t be hard to find. Unless you take it to a repair shop. If you do, ask them to do “a clean up and a paste replacement.” They’ll know what that means. :slight_smile:

This is an example of what a thermal paste looks like (it’s quite cheap):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/thermal-paste

Perfect! Thank you very much. I will give it a shot!

Awesome! After that, your system will work like new. :slight_smile: Well, new for its age that is!