See remote screen from terminal

I want to control a computer in my house (not my personal desktop system) from my computer. I can ssh into it thanks to help from @vasileios, but that is just a terminal view. I distinctly remember hearing somewhere that there is a utility that would allow me to see and interact with the screen on the other computer, and although I have reviewed everything on the LMS, I can’t find it now. How do I do that?

Hey @PrettyGranny!
The most comfortable solution is to install TeamViewer on both systems. Once you install it, go to the system you wish to control, copy the ID and the password. Then go to your own computer and insert the “Partner ID” and wait for the password. The other computer may ask for a “permission” - so you might have to walk to it one last time, but after that, you will be able to see and control the desktop near the TV from your own system. :slight_smile:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

Be sure to select your X86_64 Debian, provided you’re using an Ubuntu-based (Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, PoP OS, etc.) distro. :wink:

1 Like

I installed TeamViewer on both computers and it worked beautifully for about one day. I was familiar with the program from the Windows days, but never really liked it, as it seemed temperamental and not always reliable. Now when I try to connect from my desktop (it is set up to supposedly not require a password), it pulls up the TeamViewer program on the other computer, but won’t connect. Phooey!

Are there any more reliable methods for remotely controlling another computer screen?

Keep in mind that TeamViewer tends to change the password every time the computer is rebooted - or at times, when it’s re-executed. Perhaps you can set a specific password and put your main computer as a trusted one in its settings, so that you don’t have to get up every time.

Personally, I’ve used TeamViewer to run an entire facility from 60 miles away and it worked quite nicely. I suppose it has evolved to require a few more tweaks nowadays.