Looking for recommendations for cloud backup

After getting my wife’s laptop completely switched from Windows to Linux, I used our existing iDrive account to add her on for cloud backup. After getting the scripts configured, great, all is well. I set up an external USB 2TB drive for local backups and use Timeshift for her system and LuckyBackup for her files. No problem.

Then iDrive was attempting to backup her USB drive, and when it does, the CPU is 100% used for iDrive. I kill the processes (usually twice) and then the fan goes quiet. So we had to resort to not keeping the USB drive plugged in.

I learned I could exclude files and folders so I added that to an exclusion file so that /media/sallie/(long-number-id-of-external-drive) was to be ignored. But the problem of a loud session of iDrive persisted until we removed the USB drive and killed the processes. iDrive finally responded and escalated our request, but I’d like to consider someone else and I’m really interested in what people have found.

Any recommendations? I’m on a Mac (I have to stay, unless Adobe decides to support Linux), and my daughter is on Windows, so a “we do everyone” service would be preferable.

Hey @DavidBorrink,
I haven’t personally used it, but when I was out looking for cloud backup, I read quite a few great reviews for IceDrive, which works on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
You can check the apps out here:

Thanks. I’ll look into that one. iDrive did respond with a request to change the setting for “multiple chunk upload” to “no”. That sounds helpful in preventing too much from happening at once. Also, I’m thinking that perhaps our loud upload times recently might have been the full upload happening of the Mint 20.3 upgrade as that changed the entire system. So many details, so many factors, LOL…

1 Like

The upgrade might or might not be the issue. The past couple of days I’ve noticed some Internet glitches myself and I have a 1GBit line here. When the networks get overloaded, ISPs tend to throttle the speeds for “non-essential” (as they think of them) bandwidth. In those scenarios, I tend to test VPN servers and - believe it or not - the speed vastly increases. My guess is that the ISP can’t categorize the type of bandwidth the VPN uses, so it allows it - mostly - through.