Linux mint installation issues

Thanks so much for your response! I haven’t succeeded in installing Mint as yet and you have given me the reason. I have a 128 gb SD card and I haven’t installed anything else. That is another question. Would it help if I installed Nextcloud first, and then use it to store my programs? I don’t have it clear in my mind how the storage works.

1 Like

Well, NextCloud doesn’t store programs. They only store documents, pictures, and files (such as PDFs and ZIPs). But if there are files that you want to put on your Pi, yes, upload those files to NextCloud first and then login on your new Pi machine once it is running to download them.

You can check distrowatch for distros that support ARM.

1 Like

I have tried to install Ubuntu tonight and it shows up on my dashboard but I don’t know what to do then. I had two options, one did not say Arm and the other said Arm but had server. I don’t have a server.
I have decided to purchase an external hard drive to use and then backup to NextCloud. I have lots of genealogy stuff to get to a safe place.
Can you help with my Ubuntu issue??

Yes, select the non-server ARM option. That should get you going.

I know you have got to be tired of me. I downloaded the Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS amd64 and then used Etcher to write to SD. when I get back to my Pi, it recognizes that it is a bootable disk but all it does is place an icon for Ubuntu on my desktop. Is there something else I should be doing???

Hey @Gerelyn222!
You might want to use the Raspberry Pi Ubuntu Imager. That’s what got mine working!

Hi I tried the Ubuntu install again and it failed. This is the error I received after I tried to update:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt update
Get:1 Index of /debian buster InRelease [32.6 kB]
Get:2 Index of /raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]
E: Repository ‘Index of /raspbian buster InRelease’ changed its ‘Suite’ value from ‘stable’ to ‘oldstable’
N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
Do you want to accept these changes and continue updating from this repository? [y/N] y
E: Repository ‘Index of /debian buster InRelease’ changed its ‘Suite’ value from ‘testing’ to ‘oldstable’
N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
Do you want to accept these changes and continue updating from this repository? [y/N] y
Get:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages [13.0 MB]
Get:4 Index of /raspbian buster/contrib armhf Packages [58.8 kB]
Get:5 Index of /raspbian buster/non-free armhf Packages [104 kB]
Get:6 Index of /debian buster/main armhf Packages [393 kB]
Ign:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages
Get:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages [18.3 MB]
Get:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages [69.2 MB]
Err:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages
Error writing to output file - write (28: No space left on device) [IP: 2a00:1098:0:80:1000:75:0:3 80]
Fetched 441 kB in 55s (7,949 B/s)
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
190 packages can be upgraded. Run ‘apt list --upgradable’ to see them.
W: Failed to fetch http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/dists/buster/main/binary-armhf/Packages Error writing to output file - write (28: No space left on device) [IP: 2a00:1098:0:80:1000:75:0:3 80]
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $
Can you help??

That’s the first thing that came into my sights and seems to be the cause of the errors. How much space do you have on your little guy?

Well, it came with 8 gb and my SD card has 128. I have been thinking of purchasing an external hard drive as I have lots of genealogy and pictures that I need to work with and then store on NextCloud. Your thoughts are very welcome.

It would be a good idea to transfer all your data to the external drive then and try the update again. Once safely copied, you can delete them from your SD card. This should solve your issue. :slight_smile:

I’m still having problems. I have purchased the external hard drive and want to install it. I thought I had transferred my data to the external drive but I am now getting this message. I am trying to follow you on your video 008 - Expand your Home Folder. I am not sure what I have missed but obviously something.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt autoremove
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 190 not upgraded.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install gparted
Building dependency tree
The following additional packages will be installed:
libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libsigc+±2.0-0v5
Suggested packages:
xfsprogs reiserfsprogs reiser4progs jfsutils mtools yelp kpartx dmraid gpart
udftools
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gparted libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5
libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libsigc+±2.0-0v5
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 190 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,431 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
E: You don’t have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

This is with both the external and SD card plugged in. The new external drive has 2T. WooHoo!

Thinking back over my last message, I thought it might be helpful to expand the screen image to include all that I have done tonight. It might make it easier to see what I have done wrong.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt update
Hit:1 Index of /debian buster InRelease
Get:2 Index of /raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]
E: Repository ‘Index of /raspbian buster InRelease’ changed its ‘Suite’ value from ‘stable’ to ‘oldstable’
Get:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages [13.0 MB]
Get:4 Index of /raspbian buster/contrib armhf Packages [58.8 kB]
Get:5 Index of /raspbian buster/non-free armhf Packages [104 kB]
Get:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages [18.3 MB]
Get:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages [69.2 MB]
Err:3 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf Packages
Error writing to output file - write (28: No space left on device) [IP: 2a00:1098:0:80:1000:75:0:3 80]
Fetched 13.0 MB in 1min 21s (160 kB/s)
Building dependency tree
190 packages can be upgraded. Run ‘apt list --upgradable’ to see them.
W: Failed to fetch http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/dists/buster/main/binary-armhf/Packages Error writing to output file - write (28: No space left on device) [IP: 2a00:1098:0:80:1000:75:0:3 80]
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt autoremove
Building dependency tree
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install gparted
Building dependency tree
libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libsigc+±2.0-0v5
Suggested packages:
xfsprogs reiserfsprogs reiser4progs jfsutils mtools yelp kpartx dmraid gpart
udftools
gparted libatkmm-1.6-1v5 libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5
libgtkmm-2.4-1v5 libpangomm-1.4-1v5 libsigc+±2.0-0v5
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 190 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,431 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.

That’s quite persistent. First, run in the following - in terminal:

sudo apt autoclean

When packages are downloaded, they usually remain in cache. While autoremove uninstalls packages that are no longer needed, the autoclean deletes the packages that are downloaded (upgrades included) that have already been installed.

Then, remain in terminal and type in:

sudo baobab

Then look at the capacity of your fullest drive (or partition), open it up and wait until it becomes populated. It will show you which directories take up the most space. Please send me a photo of that, if you can. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help! Here is what happened this morning.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt autoclean
Building dependency tree
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo baobab
sudo: baobab: command not found

I’m not sure how to look at the capacity of a drive.

You’re very welcome!
I find it interesting that the Pi doesn’t come with this app. In other words, baobab is the “Disk Use Analyzer.” The reason I suggested the command prompt was to run it as root and gain access to folder sizes in all places. That’s all right.

So, we’ll try to install it. If it appears to be too big (it’s not), then we’ll try something even smaller.

sudo apt install baobab

If it’s too big or – if it doesn’t exist in the Raspberry Pi’s official repositories (I am not certain - as I run Ubuntu server on mine), then there is a solution:

sudo apt install ncdu

If baobab installed, then run it via sudo. If not, then do the same for NCDU:

sudo ncdu /

Please take a photo of that, if you can. Then take a photo of the following output:

df -h

This last command will show you all mounted partitions and their sizes. :slight_smile:

Hi again

I have followed the instructions in the last message (hopefully).
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo at install baobab
sudo: at: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install baobab
Building dependency tree
libyelp0 python3-distro yelp yelp-xsl
baobab libyelp0 python3-distro yelp yelp-xsl
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 190 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,687 kB of archives.
After this operation, 6,655 kB of additional disk space will be used.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install ncdu
Building dependency tree
ncdu is already the newest version (1.13-1).
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 15G 14G 0 100% /
devtmpfs 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.9G 66M 1.8G 4% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.9G 8.7M 1.9G 1% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 253M 54M 199M 22% /boot
tmpfs 378M 0 378M 0% /run/user/1000
/dev/sde1 1.9T 335M 1.9T 1% /media/pi/TOSHIBA EXT
/dev/sdc1 120G 2.9G 117G 3% /media/pi/UBUNTU 20_0

Again thanks!!

Hello @Gerelyn222!
I believe I see the problem. It doesn’t seem you installed Linux Mint on your Raspberry Pi, as it seems to be running on an approximately 16GB partition. No wonder you have no space.

What medium are you running Linux Mint from?

1 Like

Hi, I wasn’t aware that the Linux Mint was still on the system. What is next? Should I format the 128 SD?

Hey @Gerelyn222!
I guess my memory failed me here!
In any scenario, whatever you have installed, appears to be running from a tiny space, which is not your 128GB Card.
Your Raspberry must have come with a USB reader, where you can place your micro-SD card in. Use it to hook the card to a bigger computer and use the Raspberry Pi Imager I posted above. (Linux mint installation issues - #8 by vasileios)

Once you install the imager, run it and select your version and then the SD card to flash. Once it’s done, then remove the SD card from the card reader USB and place it on the front side of your Raspberry Pi. To be more exact, turn your Raspberry Pi upside down and place the Micro SD card with its markings facing you (brand, etc.). Once it sits nicely in, then that’s it. You can boot normally. :slight_smile:

Hi

I am still having trouble. I am guessing that the small SD card that came in the machine had more on it than just my attempt to load Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Now, I am getting errors when I try to install from the 128SD. The error I get is: Failed to execute child process “/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/gio-launch-desktop”

Invalid desktop entry file: "/usr/share/aplications/rpi-imager desktop

Invalid desktop entry file: "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications/pcmanfm.desktop’

Invalid desktop entry file: '/usr/share/