iMac sound

Hi, I have installed Linux mint on a Dell laptop computer and it is working great. My next step was to install Mint on a 2017 iMac and it seems to have gone pretty good however I have no sound and do not know where to go from here in order to trouble shoot and solve this problem. If anyone has an idea that might help solve this problem I would appreciate help.
Thanks, Rich

Hey @rlegarra AKA Rich! :slight_smile:
The issue usually lies within the sound driver. Pulse Sound, the main audio driver, still relies on some of the older stack of ALSA to play the sound. The reason you’re not hearing anything is that the ALSA channel is muted. This has happened to another iMac user here in the forums and this solved his issue.

Go to your Software Center and spot the QasMixer app on it. Install it and run it. On the output panel, you will see one or more sliders zeroed. Raise them high up and test your sound. :slight_smile:

Hi @vasileios
I installed QasMixer, both of the sliders were set at 100% on the sound and and I still don’t have any sound, I am able to connect a set of usb ear buds and get sound, so if I need to I can probably pickup an external speaker and get things to work but if you or anyone else has another suggestion I would like to get the internal speaker working. Thanks again,
Rich

Hey @rlegarra!
It would appear that the audio could be a bug for the internal speakers, something that is being fixed. Meanwhile, I came a cross a possible solution for you.
Open up a terminal and execute:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options

This will most likely create a new file. In it, add the following line:

options snd-hda-intel model=imac24

Press CTRL+O then Enter to save. CTRL+X exits.
Then, reboot and check if that helps. :slight_smile:

Hi, @vasileios
I gave this suggestion a try and I still doesn’t have sound, I very much appreciate the help and will continue to look for a solution. If you come up with anything else to try let me know and I will give it a shot
but it is starting to look like I will be using an external speaker until someone comes up with a fix.
Thanks, Rich

Hey @rlegarra!
This, I believe, is the best option for now - at least until this bug (which is reported) is fixed.

I wish I had many systems to run tests on, but my poor desk can only hold so many of them! Three laptops had to end up in a drawer! :laughing: