Hosting Options

Has anyone tried hostinger for their VPS host? Does anyone have a suggestion for a host? This will be for an email server. Thanks in advance for all suggestions and replies.

1 Like

We have our own servers for heavy duty, secure stuff, but that can be a little expensive for most folks. I have other sites on A2 Hosting, based in Michigan. They’ve been great for me for regular web stuff.

Thanks @taxed I will check that out. I have a pretty unique topology, I think, so I need to get my email up and running while I figure out how to get it setup on my own. I have server setup but it is behind a modem, an eero mesh system and then another router for my office where the server is. I am doing my best to follow along with suggestions but due to strokes it is taking a little longer to take what is being said into action taken. I love this forum - everyone is so helpful. Unite Patriots - welcome to freedom from big tech!!!

1 Like

No worries, I’m happy to help in any way I can.

So, you’re currently hosting your own email, but are looking to move that to a VPS server with a provider?

@taxed - I wish. I have installed ubuntu server on an old tower and I installed cyberpanel on it but it is behind the second router (with a dedicated IP address) so I cannot determine what IP address to use for the Dynamic DNS as the “real IP address” that will be monitored by the DDNS to change. Until I figure out how to do that - I want to learn how to use the cyber panel on a VPS. I am also interested in hosting my own “cloud server” for music and pictures and probably other types of files that can be accessed anywhere. I am facing an uphill learning curve battle, I know. I am waaaay behind in the LMS as October was spent ill and most of November, when my back wasn’t out, was spent with insurance adjusters and home improvement stores due to a flood in our kitchen. I will be getting back to the lessons after the first of the year. I hope I am making sense. Here is a better look at the topology - cable modem → Eero mesh hub → un managed switch w/ TV, XBox, DVD, laptop (using TV as monitor) running Linux, and a ethernet cord that runs approximately 25’ to the router in my office that has a laptop (running MicroSh#t Win11), my alarm system and the server in question.

@taxed, @vasileios I am looking at hostinger for my email server until I can figure out my IP situation. Does this look like it would do the trick?

vCPU - 1 core

Memory (RAM) - 1 GB

SSD Storage - 20GB

Bandwidth 1TB

Dedicated IPv4 and IPv6 address

Full Root Access

100 MB/s Network

Weekly Backups

LSCache module

GIT Deployment

Auto Installer

ModSecurity

One click backup/restore

Free SSL

Docker Manager

Web Based Terminal

HTTP/3 support

CyberPanel VPS 1

$3.95/mo

1 Like

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
The short answer is yes, you can use as your email server. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got a VPS and the email is working fantastically. Now, I need to setup a “cloud” server that can be accessed from anywhere but I will settle for a Home server to serve all the phones in the house, 3-4 at the moment, and multiple laptops, most running Linux and one running Microsh!t doze11. I need to run it from home because the storage is going to be in the MultiTB until all photos and music are sorted. backing up my inlook (see what I did there? in instead of out - lol) file PST for the past 7 years. I am waaaaay behind in LMS - which cloud server do you recommend? Also, now that I have the VPS mail server, can I save to a folder hierarchy on my home cloud, when it is created, so that I do not tax the limits of the VPS but I can save to a “local folder” hierarchy at home? I am a little lost. I want to do this as my PST folder for inlook is close to 100GB (like I said 7 years). I want to be able to keep it all archived - especially when I make the break from my ISP email and inlook. Also, is there a way to automatically sync folders on the home cloud with a folder or folders on all devices when connected? For example, when my wife gets home her phone synchs Pictures to Pictures folder. Any Help would be appreciated, @vasileios or anyone else that knows or has a suggestion. Cheers!

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
You could have gone with a new topic on this one, but all is good!
I would highly recommend a Synology NAS RAID system for your place. Depending on your space needs, you can get the 2-drive one or bigger. It comes with Linux pre-installed and a light Gnome desktop environment. Remember to also buy NAS-specific drives for it, as they are designed to operate under ideal network conditions. This means that they spin up to maximize output when needed, and they power down when not used for a while. This means longer life span. Also, they have fail safes that will allow you to not lose files easily in case of imminent hardware failure (plus the NAS itself will spot it in time).

Not to mention, when you format the drives as BTRFS (Synology recommends it when you first set it up), which means it will support file versioning. Just like the online clouds.

What you will need to do with that NAS will be to create the respective users, so that nobody else gains access to your network drives when you decide to allow access to it from the Internet. And yes, you can turn it into an internet-based file network server. You will have the option to install NextCloud to it, but I personally haven’t done so, as I find it pretty worthwhile accessing it as it is.

When you want to make it accessible to the Internet, it offers you a step-by-step guide. However, you might need to activate port-forwarding. It will tell you if you need to.

My Synology one is a 2-drive RAID-1 system, with two 4TB drives, where the second one mirrors the first. This gives an excellent data redundancy, and if something is about to go wrong, the NAS will immediately email you, so that you know that something is up.

Now, if you want the sync to function with photos, then you will need to install NextCloud on the NAS and every device you want it to sync. NextCloud has an option to sync files and photos when connected. I haven’t personally done that, as I am more of a… manual kind of guy. :laughing:

@vasileios Dude you are the freaking Man. I will look into the pricing on this but as usual you have the answers I need. Cheers!

1 Like

@vasileios Synology 2 Bay NAS DiskStation DS220+ (Diskless) $299
and then another couple of hundred for drives? that is kind of spensive. anything I can do with an old desktop that I can Ubuntu or some other distro?

1 Like

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
I agree. From a first look it’s a bit pricey. $299 for the RAID (which is exactly the model I have) and then another $160 for 2 IronWolf drives (4TB each). The difference with that is that you can use it for years to come and your data will be safe and secure - with an unlimited number of users.
For example, the family plan for Dropbox (2TB) is $204 per year. So your NAS is like approximately 20 months of Dropbox.

Another factor to consider, since you have a desktop, is its power supply. As a cloud/home-network, you’ll probably need to keep it running 24/7. Let’s say that your desktop consumes approximately 300 watts. This will be around $23 per month or $276 per year.

The Synology, consumes 15 watts at full functionality and less than 4.5 watts while idle (and the drives go into hibernation). That would mean $13 per year if the drives worked non-stop for an equal amount of time.

However, if you do want to utilize a desktop, you will still need to get a couple of drives to setup a software RAID-1. For important files, I wouldn’t recommend using an old drive or a single one for that matter. When I ran a 3D/CGI department back in Athens as its new head, I saw them using single drives for their important data (internal and external ones). I strongly recommended they upgrade to a RAID-1 file server, which was dismissed due to its price (it was about 2,500 Euros then). Within a month, several drives crashed and they lost all client data.

Then they gave me a blank check to prepare that file server. When I left that company 5 years later, that server (which was running 24/7/365) was still operational with zero faults.

It’s all up to you!

@vasileios thank you for the explanation. I will have to clear it through the boss (my beautiful bride). Perhaps I will buy it piece meal - first the Synology then drives the next month. If I did use the desktop, what software would you reccomend? Also, what software does the Synology use? I am really keen to get rid of big tech and this is really the last step to firing the a$$wholes - I have one windows machine left - a dell with optane - I will be doing that one last as I fire BT from all other aspects. I will try a dual boot - after I try linux lite on the laptop attached to the TV. I want to be fully at home in Linux before playing with a dualboot on the Dell - I tried in the beginning and something happened and now everytime I restart I have to go to settings and validate my copy of Windows. I REALLY want to do the dual boot on it but it is my daily driver - but even that is less and less. Thank you for always having the time for my endless questions and ramblings - they do not call me Syrokey McBypass IV for nothing - lol. Cheers!

1 Like

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
I completely understand! I’ve been through the pain of electricity before, which is why I mentioned it. The cash pain exists only in the beginning, but after that, it’s all done.

For the desktop, all you will need is a big drive and a decent amount of RAM (4-8GB will do). Then install the Ubuntu Server as its main OS. From there, you can install NextCloud via docker or directly. The docker is sandboxed, so you can install other software on your server without interference, but managing docker via terminal can be a bit tricky, especially for updates. But once you master that, it includes all the necessary dependencies in one package.

Meanwhile, you can run your tests by installing NextCloud by following the procedure below:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/example_ubuntu.html

Once you install it, NextCloud will initialize on the main drive you boot from, so there will be an additional process to assign additional drives to it. However, once installed, you can do so via its web panel from another computer.

Per Synology, it offers the Docker installation in its software store. Once you install it, then it will give you instructions (Synology has a browser too - so, it works like a browser within a browser). The approach is to go to its “Registry” tab, where all the available Docker images are listed. Search for NextCloud and install it. I have completed that process on my Synology, but didn’t have the time to do the final setup.

I have also installed NextCloud - via Docker again - on my Raspberry Pi (where I run Ubuntu Server). This is another way to create a home-based cloud. However, if you go that route, make sure you’ll have a decent-sized external drive to act as your storage device. I personally haven’t decided which of the two NextCloud I’ll finally utilize. Perhaps both, but for different purposes.

Don’t worry about your endless questions! It’s good for me as it allows me to run some more tests and refresh (or update) my own knowledge. Tech moves fast, so it’s all good! :slight_smile:

1 Like