Built-in camera on laptop not recognized in Linux

Hey all! How goes your Linux experience? Isn’t it fun? I feel like it just gets better by the day. :smiley: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :raised_hands: So, question, has anyone had Linux not recognize your built-in webcam? I have a Macbook Pro mid-2015 running Linux Mint 20.3 and it just acts like I don’t have a camera at all. When I switched to Linux on this laptop from MacOS I didn’t even check if the camera was working because I never, ever use it, haha! So, this isn’t an urgent question by any means. I was just thinking that I should probably get it working if I can just in case. And after searching the internet for help and not finding any, I thought I’d stop by here to see what y’all think or have experienced. Thanks!! :smiling_face:

Almost forgot to add that I did find this link, if it’s helpful: GitHub - patjak/facetimehd: Reverse engineered Linux driver for the FacetimeHD (Broadcom 1570) PCIe webcam. I’m not entirely sure how to install something from a page like that since I’m still used to big, green, easy buttons that say “install” and not actual code, but I have installed things using the terminal, so I’m totally down to learn :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @hannahgirl!
What @Skinstitcher posted is right on the spot!
Though, once I wind down from the massive Arch trilogy I finished posting today on the LMS, I’ll get down to creating a DKMS version of the camera. This will ensure that your camera becomes available with every kernel upgrade, without having to re-install it.

1 Like

@Skinstitcher thanks for sharing that other thread! For some reason I totally forgot to check if someone had already posted about this, ha. :upside_down_face: That thread had just what I needed and it worked brilliantly, thanks again!

@vasileios wow! I’m excited for the DKMS version, but meanwhile I’m totally happy to keep installing it because it totally worked. Really cool to watch the terminal go through the steps you have in that other thread. :star_struck:

1 Like

Hey @hannahgirl!
If you encounter an error with the script I prepared, I just laid down the individual set of commands. Those work 100%. :smiley:

1 Like